Looking for a delicious coffee cake recipe? Look no further! We’ve got a simple and easy-to-follow recipe that will have you savoring every bite.
Ingredients needed to make a coffee cake
Coffee cake is a delicious breakfast or dessert option that pairs well with a hot cup of coffee. To make a basic coffee cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
You can also add in additional flavorings such as cinnamon or nutmeg for added depth of flavor.
If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend and add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum to help bind the ingredients together.
Preparing the batter for a delicious coffee cake
To prepare the batter for your coffee cake, follow these simple steps:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Then add in half of the sour cream and mix again. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and sour cream.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and any additional flavorings you want to add.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch cake pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
Incorporating coffee into your coffee cake recipe
While coffee is not typically included in traditional coffee cake recipes, it can be added for an extra kick of flavor. Here are some ways to incorporate coffee into your recipe:
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules to the dry ingredients before mixing.
- Replace half of the sour cream with strong brewed coffee for a more subtle coffee flavor.
- For a more intense coffee flavor, replace all of the sour cream with strong brewed coffee.
Baking time and temperature for a perfect coffee cake
The baking time and temperature for your coffee cake will depend on your oven and altitude. However, as a general rule, bake your cake at 350°F (175°C) for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you’re unsure if your cake is done, gently press down on the center of the cake. If it springs back up, it’s done. If it leaves an indentation, it needs more time in the oven.
Toppings to enhance the flavor of your coffee cake
Coffee cakes are delicious on their own but adding toppings can take them to another level. Here are some ideas for toppings:
- A streusel topping made from butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon adds crunch and texture to your cake.
- Fresh fruit such as blueberries or raspberries can be added to the batter for a burst of flavor.
- A simple glaze made from powdered sugar and milk can be drizzled over the top of your cake for added sweetness.
Making and storing a coffee cake ahead of time
Coffee cakes are perfect for making ahead of time. Here’s how:
- Bake the cake as directed and allow it to cool completely.
- Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap the cooled cake tightly in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Label with the date and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To thaw, remove the wrapped cake from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature until it’s completely thawed.
Variations of traditional coffee cake recipes to try out
If you’re looking to switch things up, here are some variations on traditional coffee cake recipes you can try:
- Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake: Swirl cinnamon-sugar mixture throughout the batter before baking and top with cream cheese frosting.
- Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake: Add fresh blueberries and lemon zest to the batter for a zesty twist on classic coffee cake.
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake: Add pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves to your batter for a fall-inspired treat.
Tips for ensuring a moist and fluffy coffee cake every time
Here are some tips to ensure your coffee cake turns out moist and fluffy:
- Use room temperature ingredients. This will help the batter mix together more easily, resulting in a fluffier cake.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing can cause your cake to be tough and dry.
- Use sour cream or yogurt in your recipe. These ingredients add moisture and tanginess to your cake.
- Bake at the correct temperature for the correct amount of time. Overbaking can dry out your cake, while underbaking can result in a gummy texture.
In conclusion, making a delicious coffee cake at home is easy and rewarding with the right recipe.
Are Hostess coffee cakes healthy?
The Hostess Coffee Cakes are not very nutritious and are heavily processed, but they have a relatively low carbon footprint and a moderate water footprint.
Why is it called coffee cake?
Coffee cake got its name from the habit of people enjoying it while socializing over a cup of coffee. As this trend grew, stores began to market more cakes specifically as coffee cakes.
What makes a coffee cake a coffee cake?
Kaffekuchen, also known as coffee cake, is a type of cake made from a single layer of sweet batter infused with cinnamon and topped with streusel made from a mixture of flour, butter, and sugar. It can also have a streusel filling layered inside. Many fruit variations of coffee cake exist, with blueberry being the most popular.
What makes coffee cake different from cake?
Coffee cakes are unique compared to other cakes because of their streusel topping and lack of frosting. They may have a small glaze on top but typically have a swirl of streusel or are filled with nuts, fruit or chocolate.
What is the unhealthiest cake?
Carrot cake is a dessert that often contains high amounts of oil, butter, cream cheese, and sugar, along with carrots, which can make it challenging to include in a balanced diet. A typical serving of carrot cake has 800 calories, with 480 of those calories coming from fat. (Note: I added the date at the end of the original text for clarity, but this is not necessary for a paraphrase.)
Is coffee cake junk food?
If you buy coffee cake from a store, it is not good for you. These cakes contain a lot of sugar, trans fats, and other additives such as corn syrup, artificial flavors, and food coloring.
This article provides a basic recipe for making coffee cake, including the necessary dry and wet ingredients and instructions for preparing the batter. It also suggests adding additional flavorings such as cinnamon or nutmeg, and offers tips for incorporating coffee into the recipe. Additionally, it includes a note on how to make the recipe gluten-free.